How Alakh Pandey mined his passion for teaching to build Physics Wallah?
🤔What’s the buzz around Alakh Pandey? And what has he done to become the 7th EdTech unicorn of India?😲
- Growing up, Alakh endured hardship. But in all of those trials, 💪 he persevered and coached students to help support his family.
- 📖Coaching students became his passion, and he loved the idea of becoming a Math professor.
- To carry forward his passion, Alakh quit college and joined a coaching institute in Kanpur and his students were awestruck by his effective teaching.😲
- 💻This pushed Alakh to start a YouTube channel focusing on competitive exams in 2016 with an initial fund of ₹30,000. The channel grew to 10K in a year and eventually to 500K by 2018 which led to the development of the PW website.
- 📈In 2020, the pandemic hit, and online learning caught on. They developed the PW app to serve the growing customer base.
- Alakh was faced with tough competition, but he did not give up. Today, the business has 5.2M Play Store downloads, 6.9M subscribers on their channel, 1500 employees and ₹350 Cr. in revenue.
It’s astounding how the business has remained profitable since day one.
So here’s the question: 🤔What would you do if you had to replicate Physics Wallah? Here are our 5 major takeaways from Alakh’s and PW’s whole journey:
- 🪢Build your community before you scale. PW started as a YouTube channel, where a community was built and trust was earned. The community drove the company’s growth to unicorn status in just 6 years.
- ✅Be true to your journey. PW did not change or alter their goals when the competition tried to kill them. Alakh stood his ground and let his work do the talking.
- 👂Listen to your audience and pivot. The PW was not just shaped by Alakh and his partner. It combined what they believed in and what was needed by their audience. The students asked for it, and they got it.
- 📑Content is always king. When content is delivered, the business always grows. That’s precisely how PW did it; their course fees are minimal (approximately 90% less) compared to competitors, and today they stand as a unicorn company. Alakh let his content build his business.
- ✅Invest in educating yourself. Alakh spent his time delivering the best content for learners. Be it tricks, concepts, doubts, notes, assignments, videos, lectures or any type of content, Alakh invested his time in educating himself to educate every student by helping them understand and learn through different formats.
Alakh built his EdTech unicorn. You can build it too!